How Much Does A 20 Inch Catfish Weigh?

View All Fishing Questions

Asked by Anonymous - How Much Does A 20 Inch Catfish Weigh? :
I caught a 20 inch catfish (channel catfish).
How much do you think that fish wieghed?  I didnt put it on a scale, basically just measured the length.  

I also caught one larger the week earlier, about 25 inch catfish but I didnt measure it, just know it was about 5 inches larger then this one but I'm wondering what the weight would be on these fish?

Anonymous Says:

A 20 inch catfish would weigh around 2.5 to 3 pounds, in that area anyways.  

A good rule of thumb is most fish that are around 30 inches in length would weigh about 10 pounds.  Thats true with walleye, catfish, redfish, etc.  

Unless you get into fish that are skinnier like pike and trout, they would weigh a little less.
Fish that are even wider as they get bigger, like black drum, freshwater drum, largemouth bass and smallmouth bass, carp, etc, they would be even on the heavier side of weight.

But you can figure it out from there, so a channel catfish around 24 inches was probably 5.5 pounds.  

Anonymous Says:
This can vary alot.  If it looks like a "really fat catfish" (you have to use honest judgement here) or if it looks like a "really skinny catfish" then should guess lower or guess higher. I've caught some catfish around 6 pounds where the same length catfish caught by others might be 4.5 pounds.  Different times of the year certainly matter.  The dog days of summer there is drought and fish are hunkered down, I'm sure they are skinnier then.

Anonymous Says:
The location plays a big part to because of the amount of food.  I read that the Mississippi river is such a good fish river because its full of grains and corn either falling off barges or washing into the rivers from corn fields.  Catfish and other fish are well fed from this constant supply.  

Some small creeks have fruit trees over hanging that always drop cherries and mulberry's and that type of stuff into the river.  This is great food for many fish and they will be fatter because of easy supply.  Other creeks have large numbers of minnows and small fish, etc., so larger fish are well fed because of that too.  Like someone else said above you have to judge if the fish looks fatter then normal or not when guessing the fish weight.

Add your reply below ...

Your Nickname:

Your Reply:

Type the code: