Arrowhead Hunting In Missouri

View All Fishing Questions

Asked by Anonymous - Arrowhead Hunting In Missouri :
I am looking to do some arrowhead hunting in Missouri and Iowa but I'm not sure where I can go to do this.  I like hiking and would like to do some searching for arrowheads or any type of indian artifacts while I'm out doing this.  I know others that have found many in corn fields but they had access to farmland.  Is there any creek areas you can recommend if I dont have access to farmland?

Tom Says:
There are many locations throughout the midwest, Indians were all over that area (then again I guess they were all ove rmost areas, but there are many rivers throughout the midwest that would wash up arrowheads).   I know someone that had hundreds they found (corn fields as you said after the fields were plowed and dug them up), but you could ask farmers if you could walk their land as long as you respect and dont damage their land.  If the farmers dont search themselves (some do so they would not want you searching their land), they may be happy to have these items found and preserved as many arrowheads are lost forever as they get buried in the river bottoms or fields.  As far as creeks, some take canoe or kayak down creeks and search for arrowheads as they go, and there are tons of places you could do this in Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, etc.

Anonymous Says:
By the way no one owns the creeks or the banks, typically the "high water line" is considered a location that is part of the creek or river, so you can search the banks of creeks without being on someone's land as thats considered part of the river and no one owns the rivers no matter who's land it goes through.  

Personally I think the best arrowhead hunting location is the fields because the plows do the work for you, and they are easy to walk and easy to find rocks because the dirt is black.  You just have to put the time in and get out and walk.  :)

Anonymous Says:
Here are some photos of iowa arrowheads that I have:

Really nice color and chipping done on this arrowhead, bummer that it was broken. Still pretty cool though.

Best one, nice flaking showing on all sides and not broken.

Part of an indian stone knife? Spear point? Too bad its broken as I would love to know how big this was originally. Its pretty thick in the center which you cant see on the photo very well, but it shows flaking done along both sides. Its actually somewhat sharp even after 1000s of years, at one time I bet this knife / spear point was pretty sharp.

I like this arrowhead because its alot different then the others I have. Broken tip but the flaking just narrowed the back part of it, different arrowhead style and not like the notching taken out of the other arrowheads I have.

Tim Says:
A friend of mine was at an event where they had native americans there selling arrowheads (newly made arrowheads) anywhere for $5 to $50.

I told him those are worth $0 because anyone can create arrowheads today in a very short amount of time, but what makes arrowheads great is the age and history behind it.  At trade shows today they actually have people there that will examine and validate if an arrowhead is "real" or a fake.  Just like when you see those for sale on ebay, many are just made in china fakes and ones that anyone can do, so dont trust what you see online.  I would only trust it if someone authenticated it first, or better yet you know the farmers or people that found them or passed down the indian artifacts.  Then you know for sure they are legitimate.

Anonymous Says:
Most arrowheads are made out of chert or flint rock.  So if you are in areas where those rocks are abundant, you certainly will have arrowheads found there.

Add your reply below ...

Your Nickname:

Your Reply:

Type the code: