Does Using A Proxy Server Really Make Me Anonymous

View Other Tips        Iphone Apps

Posted by Guest - Does Using A Proxy Server Really Make Me Anonymous :
So when I use a proxy for web browsing in firefox or ie, does this really make my IP and all my browsing anonymous?  All of it?  There seems to be conflicting details on this on the internet  

DD Says:
You can make your browsing anonymous of course but this means the websites you browse do not know your information because you go through multiple locations to get there.  Note that this will slow down your browsing too.  The big thing here is that your IP is ALWAYS known by your cable or dsl company, etc.  Using a proxy has nothing to do with that, you cannot hide your IP address, but you can hide it from the sites you visit which is different all together.

Even using private browsing in firefox will block all browser information, cookies, flash cookies, etc.  This has nothing to do with your cable company knowing who you are though based on your IP.

John Says:
You can never really hide your IP address.  You cellphone provider or internet provider can always link your IP to you, it doesnt matter what you do. You can run anything you want as an app on your iphone or other phone, that will NOT hide your IP. The only thing you can really hide is websites wont know this information but its not like its hidden from your actual service since they are the ones that actually set your IP address.

Guest Says:
You are never really anonymous on the internet or cellphone no matter what anyone tells you. It doesnt matter what app you run either because your IP address is controlled completely outside of your computer and your phone. Everything you do is logged by your carrier or internet service, and can always be linked to you via your IP address at that exact time no matter what you do, its foolish to thinking otherwise.

Guest Says:
When you check your IP on those websites, thats only showing that the IP is blocked to that website, it is NEVER blocked with your internet service or cellphone service, that is always known and logged as the websites showing your IP address lookup have nothing to do with that.

Add your reply below ...

This site allows you to ask questions and get answers from various posters. You may also answer any posts if you feel like you have input to give. Feel free to ask for help with any new question you wish, but most of the questions here are tech related. You will find many questions and answers related to your Ipod or Ipod Nano, Itunes, audio and video converting, spyware or adware cleanup, pc or other computer questions, and even mainframe questions. Although these are the tech questions most often asked, you will find help on almost any computer or software related subject. Feel free to go to the main menu and review the posts already present, or feel free to ask your own question. (Some questions will be closed once the moderator feels they are sufficiently answered and that no other input is needed).

"BlurBorder" - Get the app

• Square any photo instantly.
  • Creates blurry border effects.
  • Also includes faded border effects.
  • For Iphone, Ipod, and Ipad.

• Your Name:

Your Reply:

Type in verification code:

Front Page

Spyware/Task Database

Computer Tips (Main Page)