What Does Ipconfig /flushdns Do?

View Other Tips        Iphone Apps

Posted by Guest - What Does Ipconfig /flushdns Do? :
Does this give me a new IP address to my computer?  What exactly does ipconfig /flushdns do?  I'm trying to assign a new IP address

Guest Says:
No it wont.  Your computer keeps ip address matching internet addresses for faster access via cache.  Lookups occur against DNS if it doesn't know them already. DNS is the "Domain Name System" that maps IP and addresses.  This will flush the cache so that it has to look them up again, it won't hurt anything using flushdns but you wont get a new IP address.  Years ago it used to work with dialup as new IP addresses were always assigned each time, then with cable or dsl it used to help shutting off the router and turning back on.  Today that doesn't work anymore, your IP is set by the company and changing on your computer will not give you a new IP.

Guest Says:
Why do you want to use flushdns anyways?

Add your reply below ...

This site allows you to ask questions and get answers from various posters. You may also answer any posts if you feel like you have input to give. Feel free to ask for help with any new question you wish, but most of the questions here are tech related. You will find many questions and answers related to your Ipod or Ipod Nano, Itunes, audio and video converting, spyware or adware cleanup, pc or other computer questions, and even mainframe questions. Although these are the tech questions most often asked, you will find help on almost any computer or software related subject. Feel free to go to the main menu and review the posts already present, or feel free to ask your own question. (Some questions will be closed once the moderator feels they are sufficiently answered and that no other input is needed).

"BlurBorder" - Get the app

• Square any photo instantly.
  • Creates blurry border effects.
  • Also includes faded border effects.
  • For Iphone, Ipod, and Ipad.

• Your Name:

Your Reply:

Type in verification code:

Front Page

Spyware/Task Database

Computer Tips (Main Page)