Smoke Detector Keeps Chirping

View All Questions

Ask a New Question

Posted by Guest - Smoke Detector Keeps Chirping :
I have a few smoke detectors that keep chirping even after I put fresh new batteries in each of them. These detectors were once on an active monitoring system, but monitoring has been disabled for a long time now with no active phone line.

They have a green light showing electrical connection as a primary source of power and batteries are for a backup source in case electricity goes out.

If I unplug them from the electrical connector and only leave the battrey connected I noticed that they will stop chirping if I push and hold the test/reset buttons for  about 10 seconds.

Is it ok to just leave the electrical unplugged from the detectors and just have the detector run off batteries only?

Guest Says:
The thing I hate about that is as soon as the batteries where down, it never fails they start chirping at 3am in the morning, then you have to get up and go switch them all.

Then again even on electric power they chirp to let you know the batteries are wearing down, so I guess there is no easy solution on that.

Guest Says:
I think its ok to run smoke detectors off batteries, as that is what many do today where they don't have electrical hookups, and it will alert you when they are running low anyways.

Add your reply below ...

This site allows you to ask questions and get answers from various posters. You may also answer any posts if you feel like you have input to give. Feel free to ask for help with any new question you wish, but most of the questions here are tech related. You will find many questions and answers related to your Ipod or Ipod Nano, Itunes, audio and video converting, spyware or adware cleanup, pc or other computer questions, and even mainframe questions. Although these are the tech questions most often asked, you will find help on almost any computer or software related subject. Feel free to go to the main menu and review the posts already present, or feel free to ask your own question. (Some questions will be closed once the moderator feels they are sufficiently answered and that no other input is needed).

See All Tips        Iphone Apps

Your Name:

Your Reply:

Type in verification code:

Forum - Front Page

Spyware/Task Database

Computer Tips (Main Page)