Dfsort - Outrec

View All Questions

Ask a New Question

Main Question - Posted From Guest:
Team, Please let me know how to add blank characters towards the end of records. Suppose I have record length of just 16 and I want to make it to 80. So from 17 to 80, I just need to add blank characters. Let me know how can I do this in DFSORT Thanks Arun R

Guest Says:
You might be able to just specify the length in the jcl file layout when creating it new, specify FB (fixed block) and length 80 (lrecl 80) and I think that might pad it for you even without specfiying the outrec padding, etc. I'm not at my machine right now so I can't test that but thats what I would try

Guest Says:
You might be able to just specify the length in the jcl file layout when creating it new, specify FB (fixed block) and length 80 (lrecl 80) and I think that might pad it for you even without specfiying the outrec padding, etc. I'm not at my machine right now so I can't test that but thats what I would try

Guest Says:
You use outrec with whatever num spaces you want like OUTREC FIELDS=(36,6,C' ') (This would put 20 blanks after the first 6 bytes)

Guest Says:
I guess that doesnt display right on the msgboard but I put 20 spaces between the quotes

Frank Yaeger Says:
Arun,

You can use these DFSORT statements to do what you asked for:

OPTION COPY
   INREC OVERLAY=(80:X)

If you're not familiar with DFSORT and DFSORT's ICETOOL, I'd suggest reading through "z/OS DFSORT:  Getting Started".  It's an excellent tutorial, with lots of examples, that will show you how to use DFSORT, DFSORT's ICETOOL and DFSORT Symbols.  You can access it online, along with all of the other DFSORT books, from:

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=114&uid=isg3T7000080

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yaeger@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols,  Migration                                                      
DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort

Guest Says:
OO

Add your reply below ...

This site allows you to ask questions and get answers from various posters, you may also answer any posts if you feel like you have input to give. Feel free to ask for help with any new question you wish, but most of the questions here are tech related. You will find many questions and answers related to your Ipod or Ipod Nano, Itunes, audio and video converting, spyware or adware cleanup, pc or other computer questions, and even mainframe questions. Although these are the tech questions most often asked, you will find help on almost any computer or software related subject. Feel free to go to the main menu and review the posts already present, or feel free to ask your own question. (Some questions will be closed once the moderator feels they are sufficiently answered and that no other input is needed).

See All Tips        Iphone Apps

Your Name:

Your Reply:

Type in verification code:

Main Menu

Shareware and Freeware Database

Tasks and Spyware Database

Various Computer Help Topics