Flash Videos Will Not Play In Web Browser

Main Menu        Computer Tips        Software Downloads Menu

Main Question - Posted From Guest:
I'm having all kinds of trouble where flash videos won't paly. For example on nfl.com I can't get any of hte NFL videos or highlights to play. I'm going crazy changing all my browser settings and any adobe flash videos STILL WON"T WORK.

Moderator Says:
Have you tried Internet Explorer and Firefox both? Or is it just one browser where the videos do not play?

RDS Says:
Both browsers I tried everything but flash doesn't play in either. ITs crazy because the flash videos on youtube play fine, how can youtube flash be fine but not NFL videos?

Moderator Says:
I bet your host file has a bunch of entries blocking ads. I've experimented with this in the past and Adobe flash has an issue where if you block the ad then the video will not play. Go to your hosts file (file names hosts with no extension), probably found in the following folder path : windows - system32 - drivers - etc (etc is a folder name) - then look for your hosts file. Make sure you don't have a ton of entries there for doubleclick, etc. The problem is many people download new hosts files because they read on the internet that its good to do that, and yet people have no idea what they are doing. If you see a ton of entries there, then thats your problem, remove them and it will be fixed. Just leave the one entry that says 127.0.0.1 localhost (thats the only one that should remain, you can leave all the commented fields).

Moderator Says:
Also, if that is not the issue for you, most likely you are blocking ads somewhere in your browsers, or you are blocking it with your anti virus or security software. You may need to go in and "ok" NFL.COM as a trusted site or site that allows ads, then that should fix it for you too.

RDS Says:
THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY NOW WORK! OMG I wasted alot of time on this!!! Thanks!

vijay Says:
hai vijay

David Says:
I have the same problem that Hai Vijay has. Only youtube videos can play in my browser. I went to the etc folder in Windows Vista and I can't find a file that says 127.0.0.1 localhost. My files say hosts, lmhosts.sam, networks, protocol, and services. Which files should I keep.

Jack Says:
I have the same problem as David. Any ideas?

Guest Says:
Open the hosts file and look in it, follow the instructions as told. It works.

daniel Says:
it works. open the hosts file with notepad, that's the only thing they left out. then delete all entries except 127.0.0.1 localhost , i had 100 entries an it worked when i deleted them. THANK GOD

Guest Says:
Yeah notepad has to be mentioned, the hosts file can be opened in notepad just like a text file, but always just save it back as the same hosts name with no extension as it already is, once you are done editing it

Guest Says:
Just wanted to say that I was also having the same problem getting the Flash videos over at NFL.com to play and this solution worked for me. Thanks.

Jared Hanmer Says:
still can't figure it out

Guest Says:
This didnt work for me. there was only on entry there. the 127.00. any help please. I have allready ck'd my anitvirus and all my browser settings

Guest Says:
If your only entry in the host file was the 127.0.0.1 entry, then thats not the issue, you have something else wrong. I would upgrade your adobe flash for your browser to see if that fixes it, those videos use adobe flash.

Jimi Says:
thanks so much i only had another entry except for 127.0.0.1 localhost but once i deleted it, it totally worked!!! great thanks :-)

Guest Says:
in my notepad it as :: 1 local host besides the 127.0.0.1 local. i deleted the this and tried to save but it wouldn't let me. how do you save it

Guest Says:
Guest: Leave teh 127.0.0.1 there, that is not a problem. If thats the only entry then you are fine, you would see alot of other lines in there with different numbers to delete if that was the issue. By the way if you can't edit and save that file then you may not have admin on your computer, you need full access to be able to modify that.

Guest Says:
ok how do i get admin on my comp?

Guest714 Says:
Hmmm, I click on etc and there are no files there it says no items match your search. What now? or is that ok?

Guest Says:
hey can you give me step by step on how to do the system 32 thing on windows vista

Guest Says:
On vista it is the same, even on 64 bit vista which I just checked on mine. Go to windows - system32 - drivers - etc and then in that folder you will see a file called "hosts". Just use notepad to open it. Here is what mine looks like when its empty, all that top stuff is comments so the bottom 127.0.0.1 and the ::1 are really the only 2 lines .... here is a cut and paste dump..... # Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp. # # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. # # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one # space. # # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. # # For example: # # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost

Guest Says:
well that cut and paste didn't work too well lol

janettluckee Says:
Check your firewall and security software. You may have two firewalls turned on. This will stop videos from playing in the browsers. In your security software, make sure the firewall ISN'T on and ISN'T being turned on at start up. If there is a tick box for turning on firewall at start up, untick it. In other words stop the security software firewall from turning on at computer start up. Alternately, turn off the windows firewall and leave the security software firewall on. This way when your computer starts, only ONE firewall will be active and you'll be able to watch videos in your browsers.

Guest Says:
I have signed up for mega uploads, casttv, netflix and wisevid, for my mom who is sick...it has been awesome, as I use my tmobile dash tethered with internet sharing and we have been watching movies for months, all of a sudden I cannot get the movies to play they just keep rebuffering, play for a minute and so on...I have tried different browsers, update flash player and such but no difference...this has been going on since last night, I even restored my computer to a previous date and that didnt change it either...........help

Barbara Says:
I have this problem on a totally up to date Windows PC running XP, only slightly different.  It plays the ads but not the movie. It plays videos other than YouTube and Hulu ones just fine. I don't know they could be non-flash ones, I'm not all that computer savy. I do have everything up to date, Flash has been uninstalled via the Adobe uninstaller and reinstalled. I've run a good registry clean between installs. There is only Outpost firewall program and Avir AntiVir personal for antivirus software. I'm at wits end and very furstrated. Can anyone help me please? Thanks.

Guest Says:
try the items specified above

Barbara Says:
I did, tried everything and it still won't work. I did find on the Flash player help site of Adobe.com that it may have something called a stop bit in the registry of windows. Not being an expert I really don't wanna go in there and mess around. If anyone knows of a registry cleaner that is known to find and fix these things, please let me know.  I currently use CCleaner from this site http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner and that evidentally does not do the trick.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and concideration in reading this post. Browsers I have that all fail at Flash movies, but play the ads just fine are: IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari. On a Windows XP Media version with service pack 3.

Guest Says:
If all your browsers are failing then I think it HAS to be system related on your computer.  My guess is still the hosts file, either that or you have some antivirus program running that is blocking everything ... make sure the hosts file is not the issue

Barbara Says:
I did and the only entry in there is the one that is suposed to be there. Any other ideas? Anyone?

Barbara Says:
No one thinks it's odd that all the ads play just fine, but the movies start with the audio for a second or so and a black screen then it crashes?  I also have since udated to the next flash player thinking that they fixed it. So I'm on version 10.1.83 or there abouts, not the .53 version.  Need someone who likes to solve a good puzzle.

Guest Says:
I've seen that before where the ads play but the video doesn't, same issue with the host entries blocking it

Barbara Says:
Alright, but that is the only entry in there.  So, how I remove everying but that doesn't make any sense because that is all that is there, unless there is something in the comments I need to take out.  This is an XP windows computer.  Is that what is suposed to be there? I will post a copy and paste of it when I get home then you can see.  Thanks for your time! It would be so awesome to get this fixed.

Guest Says:
There is an option in your flash setting that says allow third party flash content to store data on your computer, you must allow it to store flash cookies for this to work.  That may be the problem if the host file info isn't blocking the flash videos.  Make sure that option is on.

Barbara Says:
Here is my file:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

It wrapped a bit funny, but you can see that is the only entry. Checked on the 3rd party content - it's allowed.

What next? :D

Guest Says:
you have to have something else blocking the flash videos it if the host file and settings are all fine, either monitoring software, antivirus, etc .... thats my guess.

Barbara Says:
Ok, thanks for all your help everyone, I really appreciate it. If you think of anything else let me know as it is still not working. I'll see if I can add www.hulu.com and www.youtube.com as trusted sites, to see if that makes it work.

Guest Says:
If you are running a 64bit version of windows it is also very possibly a Flash issue.

See this forum for Flash/64bit possible solutions.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/442-63-cant-play-youtube-flash-windows-64bit

Guest Says:
I have windows 7 and have had no problems playing flash, and I have 2 different IE browsers (and firefox and chrome).  When I open IE 32 bit and go to youtube, it plays flash no problem.  When I open IE 64 bit and go to youtube, it gives me the msg "you need to install adobe flash player".

Christina Says:
I made a website that is basically all flash.  I imported it in Dreamweaver and then uploaded it on my website.  The background appears just fine, but there is a button that says I need to install flash.  I did that already.  I also installed shockwave but I still can't play it.  I've never had this problem before.

Guest Says:
I wouldn't make a website "all flash" today under any circumstance.  That means some people now can't view website, as some are moving away from using flash.

Greg Says:
I did the host thing but it will not let me save even though it is on the same path what do i do?

Guest Says:
If you can't save the file then you have other computer issues that you need to resolve before it can be fixed.

Guest Says:
Thanks for all the tips. Etc file was ok; I then ticked the allow 3rd party flash content provider to store data box (in the Global Storage Settings panel). Still no joy. I finally got mine to play by increasing the amount of disk space used for storage (in the Global Storage Settings panel) from 10K to 100K - the flash videos now play.

Guest Says:
Wow I haven't heard that one yet about increasing the flash storage.  

Guest Says:
Christina, If you are making websites all flash, keep in mind the ipad and iphone won't play flash, its ok for vids but making a while website flash means you are missing out on all those vieweres, and the iphone and ipad market are growing like crazy and are really a hot thing right now.  

Jeremy Says:
I was having problems with flash working on some sites but not others. So here's what I did.

Go to the website that isn't loading the flash. Right Click on the flash item and click on Global Settings. Scroll down and click the link that says "Global Privacy Settings panel" Click that. Now Click on the second tab at the top (Has a globe and a folder icon) This is your global storage settings. Make sure the box that says "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer."  If it's not checked, check it. Close browser. Restart browser. Go to page where flash wasn't working and see if that fixes the problem!

Guest Says:
thanks, this is all good info

Guest Says:
None of that worked for me until i checked my firewall, both were on, but windows firewall wasnt the problem.  Mcafee firewall blocked the videos even if it was the only one on.  now how do i fix my mcafee firewall so i can view the videos and still have the firewall protection, or should i just disable the mcafee firewall and only use the windows firewall?  thanks!!!

Guest Says:
I have XP SP3 with last flash version. I can see most of flash but not from some site like nfl.com
I right click on the site flash (black screen) and shows latest version I have. ( No problem checking last version in Adobe site).
This happens with all my browsers: Fox, IE, Flock.
(with Fox I disabled any add or script addon)
No problem with host file either. I disabled antivirus.
The strangest thing happens on:
http://webtv.realitatea.net.
I can see webtv but no other articles with flash (pre-recorded news)
I un-installed flash and installed again - no use.
I am quite techy with software, PC, but with this one I am at my wits' end.
Please ... any other idea?

Guest Says:
I have XP SP3 with last flash version. I can see most of flash but not from some site like nfl.com
I right click on the site flash (black screen) and shows latest version I have. ( No problem checking last version in Adobe site).
This happens with all my browsers: Fox, IE, Flock.
(with Fox I disabled any add or script addon)
No problem with host file either. I disabled antivirus.
The strangest thing happens on:
http://webtv.realitatea.net.
I can see webtv but no other articles with flash (pre-recorded news)
I un-installed flash and installed again - no use.
I am quite techy with software, PC, but with this one I am at my wits' end.
Please ... any other idea?

Guest Says:
Sorry for double msg. And another thing:
in nfl.com I can see the add (flash) but not the rest.
In realitatea.net I used to see the flash from pre-recorded news, now anymore but I cannot know what triggered it - flash upgrade or other.
I have another PC with XP SP3 - I see everything flash...

Dan Says:
..and one more thing I did - I updated my video driver with the last version because after SP3 upgrade I could not see flash in full screen.
Now I can see youtube and others also in full screen. But some sites are still eluding me...as I said above.
( I added my name for answer - sorry I did not do to prev msgs)

Guest Says:
I had the same issue with ads playing and videos not playing, especially on nfl.com.  Once I cleared my host file everything worked fine, you should also make sure antivirus or other "security" software isn't blocking this, depending upon what you are running.  As someone mentioned above, you do not need 2 firewalls running.  Running 2 firewalls is overkill, but you have to make sure the firewall isn't blocking it.  I use just the windows firewall and I see all videos playing fine.

If you are still stuck and not sure that anything else is working, and are sure you are not blocking anything with host file or security software on your pc, then I would try a few more things like right click the video playing, choose global settings, and and in the browser that opens click the settings on the left and make sure you are allowing 3rd party applications etc, and you may have something disabled in these flash settings. I would also delete all your flash cookies, the program complete cleanup at softdd.com has a video cookie delete option, I would wipe all those out.  Something has to be blocking these or interfering yet if you have gone through all those steps and are still having that problem.

Dan Says:
Thank you for help. For everybody:
Right click on Flash screen (paying or not) and choose Global Settings. A new page is open in Adobe which will change your settings. Click on the link "Website Storage Settings panel".
Choose "Global Storage Settings panel" tab [second tab from left] and enable: Allow third party flash content.
Restart browser.

fixthat Says:
Hi my IE 8 in WinXPsp3 wont play flash,  firefox and chrome will.  I can't seem to find a host file as mentioned above, and I have run all the updates, and downloaded flash again. Right clicking on the window doesn't bring up any flash controls like it should, clicking refresh brings up the "you need to download flash" message for a second then back to the black box with the little red x. I checked my IE tools add ons and shockwave flash object was there and enabled. so It says it's working but it ain't.

Guest Says:
   "go to your host's file, etc", what ?? Where is it ? What do you mean ? Who is the "host" ? My browser or the website that I'm trying to use ? PLEASE explain these instructions a little better... I have no idea what I'm doing & I'm really frustrated going back & forth trying to fix this (4-27-2013)

Guest Says:
The location of the hosts file is already clearly explained above.  You can open notepad and put *.* in the file to select and edit it.

Add your reply below ...

This site allows you to ask questions and get answers from various posters, you may also answer any posts if you feel like you have input to give. Feel free to ask for help with any new question you wish, but most of the questions here are tech related. You will find many questions and answers related to your Ipod or Ipod Nano, Itunes, audio and video converting, spyware or adware cleanup, pc or other computer questions, and even mainframe questions. Although these are the tech questions most often asked, you will find help on almost any computer or software related subject. Feel free to go to the main menu and review the posts already present, or feel free to ask your own question. (Some questions will be closed once the moderator feels they are sufficiently answered and that no other input is needed).

Your Name:

Your Reply:

Type in verification code:

Main Menu

Shareware and Freeware Database

Tasks and Spyware Database

Various Computer Help Topics