Dfsort Using Conditional Jcl

Main Menu        Computer Tips        Software Downloads Menu

Main Question - Posted From Guest:
We are using conditional jcl to control execution of steps. For example if step2 get a return code (return code is checked in the jcl at the end of the step). If the return code is greater than 04 then the next step continues if it is more than 4 then the step is flushed and the job cancels with the return code error. We just went to z/OS version 1.8 and are now finding that the sort area was insufficient for a job we were running which had 40 steps. Rather than get the return code of 16 we did not get a return code and the job continued as if that step had been successful. We do not and have not checked return codes for sorts with the Cobol program just in the JCL . So it looks as if the Return code is not being passed so that we can use it in the conditional JCL. Any suggestions?

Framer Says:
Whenever you upgrade to a new OS like this (we've been on Z/OS for quite a while now, but we didn't have any major issues when upgrading, most of our issues were with new versions of DB2) wierd things like this always seem to happen. I haven't stumbled across this one that you mentioned, but I would contact your system support first to make sure they are aware of this. My guess is that this is more of a system setting you have on the mainframe at your company, where the upgrade put it at "default settings" and now you aren't getting the return code that you expect. There may have been many settings your company tweaked over the years and now those have been long forgotten about. I do alot of sorts (dfhsort) and have never had a situation like the one you mentioned.

Add your reply below ...

This site allows you to ask questions and get answers from various posters, you may also answer any posts if you feel like you have input to give. Feel free to ask for help with any new question you wish, but most of the questions here are tech related. You will find many questions and answers related to your Ipod or Ipod Nano, Itunes, audio and video converting, spyware or adware cleanup, pc or other computer questions, and even mainframe questions. Although these are the tech questions most often asked, you will find help on almost any computer or software related subject. Feel free to go to the main menu and review the posts already present, or feel free to ask your own question. (Some questions will be closed once the moderator feels they are sufficiently answered and that no other input is needed).

Your Name:

Your Reply:

Main Menu

Shareware and Freeware Database

Tasks and Spyware Database

Various Computer Help Topics